Click here to view job listings across the region from the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NE HERC).
Working at NEBHE
About the New England Board of Higher Education
Established in 1955 by six visionary New England governors, the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is a regional compact organization that helps leaders assess, develop and implement education practices and policies of regional significance; promotes regional cooperation that encourages efficient sharing of education resources; and strengthens the relationship between higher education and the regional economy.
Located in downtown Boston, NEBHE values a diverse team of individuals and a collaborative workplace that support its goals to address the varying needs of the region’s learners and to provide leadership, programs and services that increase equity in postsecondary education outcomes.
Director of Finance and Administration
Reports to: President
Salary Range: $80,000 – 95,000
This is a full-time role. The position could be a part-time role for the ideal candidate with outstanding experience.
The New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is embarking on an exciting organizational renewal. The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role on the senior leadership team and participate in NEBHE’s ongoing strategic and operational planning as NEBHE enhances its quality programming and builds organizational capacity. Leading NEBHE’s finance, administration, IT, and human resources, this is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to strengthen a well-respected, high-impact organization.
Established in 1955 by six visionary New England governors, the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is a regional compact that works across New England to help leaders assess, develop, and implement education practices and policies of regional significance; promote regional cooperation that encourages efficient sharing of education resources; and strengthen the relationship between higher education and the regional economy. Based in downtown Boston, NEBHE is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate financial statements to staff and Board committee members; maintain all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Provide the work papers and documentation for the annual audit process, liaise with the external auditors and appropriate Board committees; assess any changes necessary.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is achieved, and that financial projections and cash flow are strong and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Board, officers and Board committees.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Oversee, assess, and enhance all aspects of human resources and personnel administration, including but not limited to:
- Salary and benefits benchmarking
- Performance evaluation process
- Recruitment, hiring, and onboarding processes of new employees
- Manage the IT Manager to develop the organization’s technological capacity.
- Establish and manage training programs to educate employees regarding organizational tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions and facilities to increase efficiency and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Biweekly payroll processing
- Accounts payable and receivable
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote and maintain positive relations for NEBHE and the external environment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Supervise and evaluate an IT Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management or related field
- Minimum of 5 years financial management experience
- Experience with, and final responsibility for, the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination
- Ability to interpret financial concepts to–and to effectively collaborate with–programmatic and fundraising colleagues who may not have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Experience with human resource management
- Successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Experience in working directly with a board of directors on accounting, finance and investment management issues
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to NEBHE’s mission
- Minimum of 7 years of financial and operations management experience
- MBA, Master of Finance or related graduate degree
- Higher education and/or nonprofit sector experience
- Competitive salary
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Retirement plan
- Flexible work environment
- Overnight travel in the New England area is occasionally required
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume or CV on LinkedIn or email to email@example.com using the subject line: “NEBHE Director of Finance and Administration Role.” Review of applications will begin immediately.
Working in Higher Education in New England (HERC Joblink)
As part of its mission to tie higher education to the economic well being of New England, NEBHE has partnered with the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NE HERC) to provide access to recruitment and employment resources to address faculty and staff hiring needs. The mission of the NE HERC, which was founded in 2006, is to advance the efforts of member institutions to recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and to assist dual-career couples. Moreover, together with NEBHE, NE HERC seeks to raise the profile of the higher education industry in New England as an employer of choice for diverse and highly qualified professionals across all disciplines and functions.
With nearly 18,000 registered job-seekers, 3,000 faculty and staff jobs, and 2.5 million unique website visits per year, NE HERC provides the largest higher education job board in New England, as well as a community of 62 member institutions sharing best practices and participating in strategic networking events and an assortment of targeted professional development opportunities every year.
Click here to view other NE HERC Resources.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
NEBHE actively seeks to achieve a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, genetics, protected military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.