Working in Higher Education in New England
NE HERC Joblink
As part of its mission to tie higher education to the economic well being of New England, NEBHE has partnered with the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NE HERC) to provide access to recruitment and employment resources to address faculty and staff hiring needs. The mission of the NE HERC, which was founded in 2006, is to advance the efforts of member institutions to recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and to assist dual-career couples. Moreover, together with NEBHE, NE HERC seeks to raise the profile of the higher education industry in New England as an employer of choice for diverse and highly qualified professionals across all disciplines and functions.
With nearly 18,000 registered job-seekers, 3,000 faculty and staff jobs, and 2.5 million unique website visits per year, NE HERC provides the largest higher education job board in New England, as well as a community of 62 member institutions sharing best practices and participating in strategic networking events and an assortment of targeted professional development opportunities every year.
This position is a hands-on and participative role that leads NEBHE’s finance, business management and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as NEBHE continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position located at the NEBHE offices in Boston.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Financial Management (50%)
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate financial
statements to staff and Board committee members; maintain all financial, project/program and grants
- Provide the workpapers and documentation for the annual audit process, liaise with the external auditors and appropriate Board committees; assess any changes necessary.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Board, officers and Board committees.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration (30%)
- Further develop NEBHE’s human resources and administration, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
Accounting Responsibilities (20%)
- Biweekly payroll processing.
- Accounts payable and receivable.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes and maintains positive relations for NEBHE and the external environment
Performs other related duties as required.
- MBA, Master of Finance or related graduate degree
- Minimum of 5 years financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to NEBHE’s mission.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Education Requirements: MBA, Master of Finance or related graduate degree
- Number of Years’ Experience: five years of related experience
- Type of Experience: Nonprofit sector preferred but not required
$80,000 – $90,000
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Normal office environment, not subject to extremes in temperature, noise, odors, etc.
- More than half of time spent in normal office setting.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Genevieve Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
NEBHE actively seeks to achieve a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, genetics, protected military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.