The New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) named recipients of its 10th annual New England Higher Education Excellence Awards.
Each year, NEBHE presents Regional Excellence Awards to individuals and organizations that have shown exceptional leadership on behalf of higher education and the advancement of educational opportunity, and State Merit Awards to honor the innovative work of organizations, institutions or individuals in each New England state.
- Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts and former Gov. Donald Carcieri of Rhode Island (The Governor Walter R. Peterson Award for Leadership)
- Richard Gustafson, former Chancellor, Community College System of New Hampshire (The Eleanor M. McMahon Award for Lifetime Achievement)
- Bunker Hill Community College Learning Communities (The Robert J. McKenna Award for Program Achievement)
- Cornelius “Con” Hogan, Chair, Board of Trustees, Vermont College of Fine Arts (The David C. Knapp Award for Trusteeship)
State merit awards:
- Connecticut College of Technology (Connecticut Community College System) and Karen Wosczyna-Birch, Director (Connecticut State Merit Award)
- Early College for ME, Maine Community College System(Maine State Merit Award)
- Donald Smyth, Trustee, Bristol Community College(Massachusetts State Merit Award)
- Paul LeBlanc, President, Southern New Hampshire University (New Hampshire State Merit Award)
- Ron Machtley, President, Bryant University (Rhode Island State Merit Award)
- Vermont Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR), University of Vermont (Vermont State Merit Award)
NEBHE will present the awards at its New England Higher Education Excellence Awards dinner on Friday, March 2, 2012, at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf hotel in Boston.