Study in Québec
The New England/Québec Student Exchange Program provides eligible New England college students the opportunity to spend one or two semesters at participating Québec campuses. Students must be enrolled at a participating New England institution.
The Québec campuses offer a wide variety of learning environments and an impressive array of course offerings. While on exchange, students also enjoy Québec’s vibrant cultural scene, natural beauty and extensive recreational opportunities, including world-class skiing.
Participating Québec Institutions
Université de Sherbrooke
Université du Québec
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
Université du Québec à Rimouski
Université du Québec en Outaouais
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
École de technologie supérieure
The Québec administrator is the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI). Visit the BCI website for detailed information about the exchange and the application process for both New England and Québec students. Please note that the following Québec institutions do not participate in the BCI exchange: Concordia University, École Polytechnique de Montréal, McGill University, Université de Montréal, Université de Québec à Chicoutimi and Institut national de la recherche scientifique. École nationale d’administration publique will not participate in BCI’s student exchange program effective with the 2020-21 academic year.
Participating New England Institutions
Eastern Connecticut State University
University of Connecticut
University of Maine (Orono)
University of Southern Maine
Bridgewater State University
Fitchburg State University
Framingham State University
University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Boston
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Westfield State University
Keene State College
How To Apply
New England students must be enrolled at a participating New England college or university. Students complete an online application through the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI) (available in French and English). In order to file the application, students need to be enrolled at a participating New England college or university and obtain an online password from their college’s exchange program coordinator.
- Undergraduate and graduate students.
- Students must have completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program and must remain registered in that degree program during their semester(s) abroad. Note: Some colleges may have restrictions on areas of study; check the BCI website for details about each college.
- Students must have a command of the French language, unless they plan to attend an English-speaking institution.
- Students must have a good academic record. Students must meet all specific requirements of home and host institutions.
- Exchange students pay tuition and academic fees to their home campus in New England.
- Exchange students are responsible for transportation costs and living expenses, room/board and other required miscellaneous expenses, i.e. student activity and health insurance fees, at the Québec institution.
- Students maintain their eligibility for financial aid while abroad.
- Students must pay a required immigration/border crossing fee to the Canadian government.
For more information on the NEQSEP, please contact:
New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111