About the New England Independent College Transfer Guarantee
Supported by a three-year implementation grant co-funded by the Teagle Foundation and the Davis Educational Foundation, NEBHE is developing systematic transfer pathways between community colleges and four-year independent colleges in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, with a focus on the liberal arts.
NEBHE is partnering with the Connecticut Conference of Independent Colleges (CCIC), Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts (AICUM), Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Rhode Island (AICURI) and community colleges in the three states to begin establishing an admission transfer guarantee, to be known as the New England Independent College Transfer Guarantee (Guarantee). This commitment will assure acceptance at an independent nonprofit four-year institution for students graduating from a community college with an associate degree. The overarching aim of the project is for students who meet eligibility criteria and are covered under the Guarantee, to be able to transfer as juniors and be fully prepared to successfully complete a bachelor’s degree. The Guarantee promotes equity, opportunity and access in higher education.
Key goals of the Guarantee
- Build stronger partnerships between community colleges and independent institutions in three states.
- Develop a seamless and, in some cases, a more affordable option, for community college students to attend an independent institution.
- Develop and promote liberal arts transfer opportunities at independent colleges for community college graduates.
- Increase the number of community college transfer students who earn a bachelor’s degree at an independent institution.
- Promote equitable participation in higher education by providing access and opportunity for all eligible students.
For more information, contact Emily Decatur at email@example.com or 617.533.9513.